Presenter: Sandra Delvin, President – Families Homes San Jose
What is happening now in the housing arena?
- San Jose missed deadline for RHNA Housing Elements by months!
- San Jose is now subject to “Builder’s Remedy”
- Builder’s Remedy eliminates zoning restrictions
- Builder’s Remedy eliminates or reduces public & city planning department input/review
- Builder’s Remedy will negatively Impact San Jose’s financial base & quality of life
- Currently there are many CA legislative proposals in the pipeline with a one size fits all, by right, overriding city ordinances and the General Plan
View article below:
What is happening now & coming up in the housing arena?
- New organization – Bay Area Housing Finance Authority (BAHFA) – is proposing a $10–20 Billion Tax Measure funded by property taxes
- Possibly $10.62+ per $100,000 of the assessed value of the property
- Used for affordable housing (and other items such as COPA, rent control, & tenant protection).
- Housing for 120% of area median income or lower
- Agency may override city and county ordinances
- F&HSJ still assessing impacts
Solution: Our Neighborhood Voices Initiative
- Support the Initiative: (https://ourneighborhoodvoices.com/)
- It will return zoning & land use decisions to cities & counties
- It will not impact infrastructure items (power plants, dams, etc.)
- It will not change California Environmental Quality Act, California Endangered Species Act, Coastal Act, Water Quality Act, etc.
- It is currently being reviewed by State as part of initiative process
- Please consider donating & signing-up for news and petition signing events
State Initiatives with Significant Property Tax Implications for Homeowners
- Support Taxpayer Protection & Government Accountability Act (TPA).
It will protect Prop. 13 & close loop holes
- It has qualified for the 11/2024 Ballot
- Provides for voters to vote on “fees” & taxes
Action: Current Vote Requirement////Proposed Vote Requirement
ACA 1: State tax 2/3 vote by the legislature///////2/3 legislative vote & a majority of voters
increase by state
ACA 13: Local Simple majority to pass//////////2/3 pass by voters, but just majority by legislature
Links for TPA:
https://righttovoteontaxes.com/ (pro) and https://lao.ca.gov/BallotAnalysis/Initiative/2021-042 (con)
State Legislative Initiatives with
Significant Tax Implications
- Opposing legislative initiatives ACA 1 & ACA13
- Expected to be on 11/2024 Ballot
- ACA-1: Abolishes 2/3 voter approval that currently exists
& impacts Proposition 13 provisions
- ACA-13: Citizens initiative must pass by 2/3 but legislative
ones by simple majority; may over turn already passed
citizen initiatives; would impact citizen initiatives on
- Note: SJ City Council voted to support ACA 1 & Oppose
TPA. Using our tax to lobby.
- These items still under development. Amendments
may be made.
Most important items:
- Sign & Donate to get Our Neighborhood Voices
Initiative on Ballot & Pass It!
- Get on our mailing list at
- Watch for Initiatives impacting you
- Support Taxpayer Protection & Government
Accountability Act (TPA)
- Oppose legislative initiatives ACA 1 & ACA13
History: Families Homes San Jose–A grassroots coalition established November 2019
- Neighborhood Associations & many City- wide organizations joined together to
advocate for Single Family Homes (SFH) & neighborhoods
- Opposed “Opportunity Housing” (OH)
- Zoning change, up to 7 units on single family lots (SFH) “by right”
- “By right” = no public comment/review/notice
- What was accomplished?
- SB9 coauthored by Sen. Dave Cortese, passed & signed Fall 2021 preempting OH and
eliminating SFH zoning state-wide
- SB9 could have allowed up to 10 units per SFH lot
- December 2021 Council passed ordinance limiting SB9 projects to 4 units per SFH lot
(the minimum allowed by SB9)
- SB10 (which is an opt-in law) not incorporated into law in San Jose